Friday, September 23, 2011

Day 12 | Future Missionaries

There has been a lot of talk lately about “short-term missions.” Some people love them and some people would do away with them all together. That’s a blog for another day. I tend to fall into the “love” category. I’ve been leading these trips for over 10 years of my life, but I think the reason I love them so much is the two-fold purpose behind them. A short term trip impacts those serving and those being served. It’s a win-win, really. I think that it’s amazing to be a part of an organization that changes lives; making a huge difference in such a short time that lasts for years to come (through a home and more importantly through the connection to local pastors.)


I’ve heard hundreds of stories of lives changed because of a short-term trip. I’ve heard stories of people committing their lives to ministry because God called them or revealed something to them on a mission trip. I know of missionaries serving in other parts of the world that wouldn’t be doing so if they hadn’t first gone on a week long mission trip. These trips do make a difference.

I don’t think that everyone is called to make “that” kind of commitment. However, I think we are all called. I think the trip itself is a catalyst for so much more. I think God uses the short window of time to reshape and remold our vision as Christians for the whole world. All of us are called to be missionaries, not just those of us serving full-time with Casas or other missionaries serving in different places with other organizations; all of us.

Plain and simple, we are all called to show Christ to everyone we come across. All throughout the New Testament there are testimonies of people that are going and showing Christ’s love as missionaries in their daily lives wherever they are. Will you?

Today we simply ask that you pray for God to raise up new “missionaries.” Pray that as people return home they have a vision for their communities and their cities. Pray that others would answer the call to full-time service in the ministry. Pray that God will use these trips to change and mold all of us into the followers He desires us to be.
-Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment