Thursday, December 2, 2010

What Moves You?

We asked our friends on Facebook, "What one thing is most vivid in your minds about your time building with us in Juarez, or Acuna Mexico?"  We're grateful for their perspectives, their heart, and their service.  This is what they had to say...



    • AndyNikki Chitwood 

      I have sooo many memories from when I lived there while working with Casas por Cristo. Many nights of driving up on "the hill" in El Paso and just sitting there in the car, looking over Juarez seeing all the lights, houses, etc.....thinking about how truly blessed America is/we are. It was a life changing year for me and I have never forgotten any of it. The friendships I built while living there will be carried in my heart forever and I hope, one day, to be able to take my husband and four kids down to meet everyone and build a house together as a family. :)


    • Richard Coe
      The overwhelming needs.

    • Kaci Winemiller
      Being able to talk to the people. Seeing and hearing their pain and then seeing and hearing their salvation through God, through the work we do. But the best part is knowing their life is better.

    • T.j. Norris
      The overwhelming LOVE.

    • Mark Yanke
      The conditions they lived in, and how happy they were after our work was done.

    • Gabe Leonard
      The differences between Mexico and the US.

    • Paul Moritz
      The families that we build for.

    • Cristen Brandt
      That even though they had close to nothing, they were still the richest people I had ever met.

    • Laura Robinson Alldredge
      I went to Juarez in 2007 and Acuna this past June. My most vivid memory is when the father of the family in Juarez and I were talking as we worked on stucco the last day, he told me that when I came back to visit I could stay in the house that I had helped build for them. I said "Because we are friends" and he said "No, somos familia" (we are family). I will always cherish that moment. What a beautiful picture that we are all God's children and we really are all family! I so look forward to going back!

    • Bob Gordon 
      The dedication ceremony.

    • LuAnn Gwinn Ribley 
      The appreciation and joy with two rooms! How many of us in U.S. would be joyful at two rooms on a concrete floor, no heat or air conditioning, and no running water inside?


      The communication between the families and workers - even when we don't speak the same language.

    • Lori Meyer 
      How we have so much and they have so little, yet the love and faith they have surpasses so many Americans....

    • Sherry Culp 
      Moms, Dads, children caught in a battle but desiring a Godly herritage for their children. A safe place from the hardships they face everyday. A land that needs revival, prayers and Christians to come and help them. Jesus with skin on!!! Pray without ceasing for them.


    • Michael David Ford 
      For me, it was the amazing opportunities to just love people down there. I went down to Juarez for a few days and built a house, and was just amazed at how much I fell in love with the family we were building for and the neighborhood children who came around while we were there. They have such great need down there, not only physical needs, but a need to see the love of Christ acted out for them in a tangible way.

We'd love to hear more of your memories and stories of those moments that have been engraved in your mind and changed your life.  

2 comments:

  1. I've been on a build three times and my favorite moment was when we built for a family of five. We drove up the first day to a shelter built with wooden palettes and cardboard. On the door was a sign that read," We are here". You could read so much into that statement. On the last day we handed the key over to the family and I cried as I watched the dad tear up and hug his family. I truly felt like God had performed a miracle for this family and felt so moved that I was part of that miracle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love that story and use the picture in our media all the time of the house with those words on front! Thank you for your service! Because of this comment I'm going to share that comment again with our FB and Twitter followers today!

      Delete