Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Stories from Mexico

Have you been on a trip to Mexico?  Then you have a story to tell.  The whole world is looking at Mexico right now as we hear reports of despair and heartache daily.  But there is so much more happening in this country.  There are homes being built, families being saved, children being reminded that there is a God that loves them.  In a time when all we hear are the negative reports coming from  Mexico, we need to stand up and share our stories now more than ever.  Here are some of those stories.  We encourage you to share your own.

Karen Kasson:
We recently returned from Juarez from building a house for a needy family. Everyone said, "Don't go! It's dangerous down there!" We went anyway. We had no difficulties with violence and did not feel in danger at any time during this trip. This was our third trip & for some others on our team this was their 5th trip. With only 12 people, and four of them age 16 or under we thought, 'How can we get this done? We don't have enough people. Our best big guys aren't coming!'  We went anyway because the family needed us. Every day, friends and relatives of the family came and helped us out. We got to know these people. We were able to help this family. They touched our hearts and we in our own way were able to bring Jesus to their lives and hopefully touch their hearts as well. We had at least three other families stop by and ask, 'How do we get a house?'  For the other families who stopped by we pointed them to the church and gave them the pastor's name so they could go and fill out an application. There are many families in Juarez who still need homes. We'll go back again. We hope many others will join us. It will not only change the life of a family in Mexico, it will change yours too.

Adam Black:
Back in Feb I built my 8th house with Casas, this time in Acuna because it was a much, much shorter drive from Atlanta, GA.  I love CPC and even though I've seen just a few lives changed by what I've participated in on these trips I know the story is much bigger. We always pray that the people in the surrounding community will stop in and ask 'Why?' when a family gets a new home. The second half of our prayer is that the family will answer with a story about some folks from far away who love Jesus, love them, and wanted to change their lives.

Owen Young:
The first time I got to go on a build was for a couple that were in their 70's and raising a grandchild (they had lost their daughter). They also had their son and his family living with them. I couldn't beleive how many kids were around while we were building. Most of the 'houses' surrounding us were just pallets and cardboard. The first night that we were there it rained a downpour with lots of thunder and lightning. I layed there all night thinking about those kids in their cardboard houses. Everytime that we have been back we have gone by that house and Socorra (the mother of the family that we built for) has run out praising God and hugging our necks. She always insists on praying for us and I have never left there without tears in my eyes. We have been back every year since. We are planning on being there again next month. Don't miss a chance to go if you can.

Terry Higginbotham:
I built with Casas for the first time in 2004. I was a new Christian and wanted to serve God.  Right before I was to leave I was told of the possibility of kidney cancer. I was scared but my wife told me to go anyway. Quite honestly it may have been my last opportunity. I got very sick on the build and while resting in the shade of the truck a young boy squatted and looked at me. I asked him if he knew Jesus. He said, 'Yes. Do you?' This young man did not see the reflection of my King in my face. This hurt me and humbled me to my very core. I have built many houses with Casas since and am lucky, privileged and honored to serve on their board. This affords me the opportunity to be associated with some to the bravest, most loving, sincerest, most diligent young people I have ever known. They are my heroes. I know that God smiles and heaven fills with laughter every time they lace up their boots. God knows more are coming home by their efforts, both temporally and most important, eternally. I love you guys, Dios bendiga!

No comments:

Post a Comment