Thursday, August 2, 2012

Hope

It all began about a year ago for our family when we went to Juárez, México and built a home for a family in need. My daughter Maylee immediately became friends with a sweet girl named Stephanie (Fani) that lived next door. They played all week without even speaking the same language.  We were building Fani’s aunt a home and she was there every day watching as we worked. Everyone in the family was believers in Jesus Christ and you could see the joy in their hearts despite the circumstances in which they were living.

This was in September, so mornings were cold but the days were warm. On the last morning of the build, we circled up to pray and of course, Fani and Maylee were holding hands. Maylee looked up at me and asked why Fani’s hands were so cold. I told her it was because she lived in a cardboard home and they weren't able to keep warm at night. This is when my heart fell to pieces. My little 6 year old pulled on my arm and with tears running down her face, begged me to come back and build her friend Fani a home.

The problem is that Casas Por Cristo isn't accepting new applications for homes in this area because the need is so great but the builders are few. Because of the violence in Juárez, many American churches have stopped going to serve. I couldn’t share that with Maylee so I just looked at her and told her that we needed to pray that God would provide a home for Fani.

Maylee saw a scrap piece of sheetrock that someone on the team had carved a cross into and she asked if we could take it home. On the day that we dedicated the home, Maylee asked for the whole Mexican family to sign her piece of sheetrock. We got home from the build and my husband framed Maylee’s sheetrock art and we hung it by her bed. Every night this sweet girl has prayed for Fani and her family to receive a home.

I just got home from another build in June. Every time I go on a build, I go by and visit with Fani’s whole family. But this time I saw something different. On their front door was something that represented Hope! It was the plaque that Casas puts up to show that they have been accepted to receive a home. Now, knowing that this was completely impossible without God's help, my heart burst into joy. I ran out of the truck crying and picked Fani up with excitement. It was an answer to our family’s prayers. Just because they have a plaque doesn’t mean that they will receive a home right away. The waiting list has typically been 3 years. But we serve an awesome God and I love seeing Him work. God has been working out the details and we are going to be building Fani a home THIS September! This is only one year from when we first met this sweet family.

God has brought a team together very quickly and we will be building the week of Sept. 9-14. We are asking for your prayers as we follow God to build for this family. We are so honored to get to serve God in this amazing way!

David, Michelle and Maylee Godzisz

No comments:

Post a Comment