Thursday, May 7, 2015

Missionary Spotlight | Josh & Allie Crabbs


Missionary Spotlight 
Josh & Allie Crabbs

Meet Josh and Allie Crabbs, the newest recruits to the Dominican Republic. Josh has worked at Casas por Cristo since 2006. Allie joined the CpC staff after marrying Josh in September of 2014. They just moved to the Dominican Republic this past January to help start operations there.

Interview

  1. Tell a little bit about yourself and where you're from.

  • Josh: I am from Akron, Ohio and I am slightly addicted to sports. I owe who I am now to the example of my parents. Their ministry in the inner city of Akron is a true depiction of what it means to live a life of sacrifice and service to our Maker.  


  • Allie: I grew up in St. Louis, MO and graduated from Dallas Christian College.  God ignited my heart for The Nations when I was 16 serving at an orphanage in Juárez. From that point on, I had a deep desire to serve cross culturally and I wasn't going to let anything stand in my way.  

  1. What made you choose to serve at Casas por Cristo?

  • Josh: I had a desire to serve the Lord in a tangible way. When I was given the opportunity to apprentice and then come on staff with Casas, it was a no brainer for me. I couldn't think of a better way to use the gifts God had given me than to serve those in need.  

  • Allie: Let's be honest, I married into it (Haha).  On a more serious note though,  I was first introduced to Casas por Cristo  while serving in Guatemala with Morning Glory Christian School. During my time there, I was able to see the lasting impact that Casas has had on that community for Christ. That is the reason why I love Casas. Thier style of ministry works. So when I did eventually marry a "Casas' Man," I was excited to join their staff and serve alongside Josh. 

  1. How have you seen God through your ministry at Casas por Cristo?

  • Josh: I have seen God in several ways. I have seen Him through the impact that the local church has had on our Casas Teams, through the growth and strength of the local church because of our Casas Teams and through the actions of the families who have received homes.

  • Allie: I see God in every face we serve. The pure joy that the families have when they receive their home is the most beautiful part for me. In that moment, you can feel the fullness of God's love for His people, the fullness of what it means to be The Church, and the fullness of what it means to be a child of God resting in His presence. I wouldn't change that for anything.  

  1. What has been your biggest challenge so far?

  • Josh: My biggest challenge is accepting that I can't help everyone. In Juárez, the need was so great, it was overwhelming. I had to learn that the Lord has given me the ability to help the specific people He has placed in my path and that is okay.  

  • Allie:  My biggest struggle while working with Casas has been the feeling of inadequacy. I think in life I'm a relatively capable person, but the first time I walked on a build site, all of that fell away almost instantly. I couldn't even swing a hammer correctly. Any time Josh would ask me to do something, I literally had no idea what he was talking about. Every build is a little bit better, but those thoughts still try to creep back in any way possible. I am continually reminded of the quote, "He doesn't call the equipped. He equips the called."


Prayer Requests
  • Patience as we are still transitioning into married life and life in the DR
  • Growth for the ministry here in the Dominican
  • Relationships we are forming with the pastors and community
  • Continued financial support
  • The ability to learn more Spanish at a rapid rate





Copyright © 2015. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment