Monday, June 6, 2016

Missionary Spotlight | Jake White

Meet Jake White, missionary with Casas por Cristo. Jake came on staff in 2015 as one of our Juárez Field Coordinators after serving with us for two summer internships. Jake helped to develop the new model house plans for our Acuña location, and he makes sure all of our tool kits and nail crates are ready to go for each build.
INTERVIEW WITH JAKE

1. Tell a little bit about yourself and where you're from.
  • Hello! My name is Jake White. I am 24 years old. I grew up in Northeast Ohio. I will always have a deep love for Akron/Cleveland and all sports teams from that area. A year ago, I graduated from the University of Akron with my Bachelor's in Construction Engineering. Like I said, I love Ohio, but I knew God was preparing me to be sent out. I like to get dirty, work with my hands, travel, and be outside. I am into martial arts, backpacking, and occasionally mountain biking. I enjoy reading and playing guitar to relax in my downtime. The thing I want most for my life is to be most effectively used by the Lord for His purposes.

2. What made you choose to serve at Casas por Cristo?
  • I came on my first trip with Casas por Cristo back in 2012 and fell in love with missions. I was asked about signing up for the intern program and decided to take that leap of faith. I ended up spending a life-changing summer in Guatemala. It was there that God showed me I was created for missionary life. I came back for a second internship and spent the summer here in Juárez, México. It was here that God showed me the eternal effect this ministry has in the lives of the people we serve as well as those we serve with. I was so sure that God wanted me here that it was as if he spoke directly to me. Not with words, but with the Spirit guiding my life. I applied to join staff that summer and moved down six days after graduating college. Life has been a whirlwind ever since, but I have God to cling to through it all!
3. How have you seen God through your ministry at Casas por Cristo?
  • The short answer is that I have seen him in every way. I have seen Him in my life, my coworkers' lives, in the lives of our volunteers, and especially in the people we are privileged to serve. It seems like everyday something happens, and I think to myself, "What a God thing!" He is so abundant in our ministry that I never question if we are aligned with the Spirit or not. There is something so simple yet amazing about the way we serve people. We work, sweat, and hurt with the families we serve. It's not glamorous, but that's why I love it. Jesus got dirty to love us, and that's how we want to reach out to people.
4. What has been your biggest challenge so far?
  • It was definitely tough to leave behind life as I knew it to move here and serve. My biggest struggle has just been finding myself in the midst of a new lifestyle. I am constantly learning more and more about how God has created me and gifted me. It's been a crazy transition from being a college student in Ohio to serving as a full time missionary down here in Juárez. I'm trying to forge a new life here, and fundraising isn't always the easiest thing either.
5. What are some things people can pray for on your behalf?
  • I would love prayer that God would use me to show His love to the world and to glorify Him. I would also appreciate prayer that our ministry would continue to grow and reach the world. Lastly, pray that I would figure out this new lifestyle and get connected with the generous people I need to be able to stay here long term. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!

No comments:

Post a Comment