Monday, August 15, 2011

A Different World

I'm sitting at a restaurant in Atlanta, GA this week, thinking about a population of forgotten people living on the Mexico border. As i sit here and stare, I feel so far removed from this life that I know on the border. I feel so far from the need that I see daily; from the desperate cries of a mother that can't guard her child from the storms; from the little boy that will never know an education past 15. As I sit here and look around me, all I can think is, "How do I make you care?" How can the lives of people that you've never met, break into your world, your plans, and your daily agendas enough to make you step away from your lives for a week to change theirs?

Honestly, I don't think it's possible outside of Christ. I think that God has to open our eyes and break our hearts for the needs of others and help us to see what He sees. As I find myself today back in my hometown, I realize that I was this person sitting at a table in Atlanta, minding my own business, living my own life. Then somewhere along the way a friend invited me on a trip to build a home in Mexico, and nothing has been the same since. God had to get in my way, He had to put a road block in my path that would create a fork in the road that would change everything after; and then I had to take Him up on the opportunities He placed before me. I still find myself lost. It feels strange to come back to the world that I knew and write about families living on the border in Mexico. It feels strange for this to be the cry of my heart. But as I find myself staring, this is all that I can think about.

What I can't stop thinking as I look around at the different people and their lives that are surrounding me, is that I want their worlds (and yours) to be rocked too. I want you to see more than you see right now, I want you to care; we want you to care. We want your churches to be turned upside down. We want your congregations to be so brokenhearted for the injustices in the world around you that your next Sunday service is spent crying out to God for the desperate needs of others. We want your lives to be flipped upside down and shaken as much as ours have, and then some. We want God to pick us all up out of our "American dreams" and show us His way, His heart, and what He sees.

No comments:

Post a Comment