Monday, February 1, 2016

Missionary Spotlight | Brandon & Heather Culp

Meet Brandon and Heather Culp. Brandon has just been named the Director of Juárez after serving as the Director of Guatemala for three years. He has faithfully served in many roles at Casas por Cristo since he came on staff in 2008. He oversees the Juárez Field Department and makes sure our operations in Juárez run smoothly.
INTERVIEW WITH BRANDON
1. Tell a little bit about yourself and where you're from.
  • I am from Kiowa, Colorado, and I studied Construction Management at Colorado State University. I grew up in a Christian home and have a wonderful family that has encouraged and supported me before and during my time here at Casas.  
2. What made you choose to serve at Casas por Cristo?
  • I went on my first Casas trip when I was a senior in High School. I still remember every detail about that trip. It was the first time in my life that I ever experienced poverty and saw how serving was one of the most powerful ways of sharing the love of Christ with others. I decided to use the Casas internship to fulfill the requirements for my Construction Management degree. After my second internship with Casas, I felt like God was calling me to serve with Casas por Cristo full time.
3. How have you seen God through your ministry at Casas por Cristo?
  • One of my favorite parts of serving with this ministry has been how God has used the people I serve along side, the groups I build with, and the families we build for to shape and mold me into the person I am today. Last week, a brother of the lady we were building for had been deported, totaled his vehicle, had a dislocated shoulder that needed surgery, and was only able to see his family once a week. His sister was a single mom barely able to feed her children. He wanted her to have a home and to come to know Christ so badly that he purchased the land for her house with the little money he had, spent months preparing it, and even helped us build it. At the dedication she told us she was most excited for the Bible she had received and that she was going to start attending church with her brother. The brother never once mentioned all the struggles he was going through. We were only made aware of those later, but I share this story because this particular week I saw God in this man's servant heart. I have countless stories like this one over the years and that is one of the reasons I love this ministry so much.
4. What has been your biggest challenge so far?
  • Three years ago we moved to Guatemala. We left family, friends, and comforts behind. While we were there we formed relationships and bonds that we never expected. In September we moved back to the States. Saying goodbye and leaving the people who had become our family proved to be more difficult than our initial move to Guatemala. We are excited for what God has next, but this has been our biggest challenge so far.  
5. What are some things people can pray for on your behalf?
  • We ask for prayers as we continue to adjust to living back in the United States and for a smooth transition as I become the Director of the Juárez Department.

No comments:

Post a Comment